Tech Question

For all those things not related to the project at hand that you want to post in English.

Tech Question

Postby Dedalvs » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:12 pm

Is there anywhere in the preferences where you can get an automatic e-mail when there's a new post in a topic you've made a post in? I see that you can click the little option down there, but is there a way you can make that as your default?
Dedalvs

Re: Tech Question

Postby Dedalvs » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:15 pm

Never mind; I found it. :)
Dedalvs

Postby Dedalvs » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:12 pm

Okay, I take it back. It's notifying me by default, but it isn't actually notifying me--i.e. I'm getting no e-mails. Is this working for anyone else?
Dedalvs

Postby Miatato » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:26 pm

I will try setting mine up and see if it works.
Miatato
Site Admin

Postby alavda-isere » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:47 pm

Dedalvs wrote:Okay, I take it back. It's notifying me by default, but it isn't actually notifying me--i.e. I'm getting no e-mails. Is this working for anyone else?

If you want to sign up for a particular thread, go to that thread. You'll see a link somewhere (I think its location differs depending on what board template you're using) that says "Subscribe topic". Click on that, and you'll get notifications.
If you've got subscribe automatically through your control panel settings, it will only send a notification for threads you've actually replied in; if you click "Subscribe", this isn't necessary. Hope this helps!
alavda-isere

Postby Dedalvs » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:52 pm

alavda-isere wrote:If you want to sign up for a particular thread, go to that thread. You'll see a link somewhere (I think its location differs depending on what board template you're using) that says "Subscribe topic". Click on that, and you'll get notifications.
If you've got subscribe automatically through your control panel settings, it will only send a notification for threads you've actually replied in; if you click "Subscribe", this isn't necessary. Hope this helps!

Well, then this may turn into a mod question. Currently, whenever I reply to any thread, it automatically checks the box that says "Notify me when a reply is posted". It doesn't do that. When I looked at my settings in the UP, though, it says I'm subscribed to no thread, but am "watching" several (all the ones I've posted to, I assume). So if I understand all this right, when I reply to or start a thread, I'm watching it. When I click the box on my message that says "Notify me when a reply is posted", it will do so only if I'm subscribed to the thread, and posting a reply or starting a thread doesn't subscribe me to the thread.

So, my question is, can we have an option where starting or replying to a thread automatically subscribes you to that thread? :D I know it can work that way, because that's what happens on the ZBB.
Dedalvs

Postby Dedalvs » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:57 pm

Wait! I have an update! Apparently, I am subscribed to this topic--it says so at the bottom (specifically, it gives me an option to unsubscribe, and presumably I'd have to be subscribed to be able to unsubscribe):

So the topic says I'm subscribed, but the UP says I'm still not subscribed to any topics. Something's fishy here...
Dedalvs

Postby Dedalvs » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:34 pm

So, I hate to keep going on about this, but I think the reason I'm not getting e-mail updates is the same reason I (and others?) didn't receive activation e-mails. I think there's something askew with the mechanism that sends e-mail from the site. Perhaps the e-mail account hasn't been set up properly, or a box only the moderator has access to has been left unchecked somewhere?
Dedalvs

Postby Miatato » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:20 pm

I will comb through and see what I can figure out. :/ Some people did get their activation emails, so I am not sure exactly what was going on with that either.
Miatato
Site Admin

Return to English Chat