Bit of OT News

For posting about your other conlangs, someone else's conlangs, or language construction in general.

Bit of OT News

Postby Dedalvs » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:50 pm

We're (here "we" = LCS) finally able to announce that we've been working with HBO on a conlang for the upcoming adaptation of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. Specifically, I created the Dothraki language (if you know don't know the series, they're these horse warrior types). We haven't put up our stuff on the LCS site yet (I think Sai's asleep), but you can read HBO's press release here.

So, yay! That was it.
Dedalvs

Re: Bit of OT News

Postby Miatato » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:47 am

I am really looking forward to this. I read the books a few years ago, and I am always happy to encounter conlangs-in-action. We don't get HBO, but I'll see it eventually. 8-) :D
Miatato
Site Admin

Postby Matthew Turnbull » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:55 pm

I'm also looking forward to it, I have been pretty much since it was announced that someone was being contracted!

just a side note but, "and get ready for the stallion that mounts the world." ... :? stallion that mounts the world...? That's a bit graphic for my taste!
ave matyu at vijeréiisoblarre ayna
saluton mi nomas mateo kaj lingvokreas mi
je me nomme Matthew Turnbull et je fais la glossopoésie
Matthew Turnbull

Postby Dedalvs » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:08 pm

Matthew Turnbull wrote:just a side note but, "and get ready for the stallion that mounts the world." ... :? stallion that mounts the world...? That's a bit graphic for my taste!

Can't do much about that: That's straight from the books. A lot of the Dothraki material is, indeed, rather graphic, and that's going to be reflected in the show.
Dedalvs

Postby Matthew Turnbull » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:12 pm

While, despite my tastes, I still can't wait to see it, unless the actors suck at pronouncing it... that would make me very sad
ave matyu at vijeréiisoblarre ayna
saluton mi nomas mateo kaj lingvokreas mi
je me nomme Matthew Turnbull et je fais la glossopoésie
Matthew Turnbull

Postby Miatato » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:21 pm

I was just listening to the Paul Frommer interview yesterday or the day before, and now I am wondering whether Dothraki will be made available for fans to learn. Is there a plan for the language beyond its use in the series, or is that only known to some suits at HBO?
Miatato
Site Admin

Postby Dedalvs » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:38 am

Miatato wrote:I was just listening to the Paul Frommer interview yesterday or the day before, and now I am wondering whether Dothraki will be made available for fans to learn. Is there a plan for the language beyond its use in the series, or is that only known to some suits at HBO?

We're all playing wait and see. Here's hoping, though. That would certainly be my ideal.
Dedalvs

Return to Any Other Conlang