Conlanging Dream

For posting about your other conlangs, someone else's conlangs, or language construction in general.

Conlanging Dream

Postby Miatato » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:54 am

Last night I had a dream that I was on a broken down space station that had been taken over by its former crew as a sort of orbiting commune. One section at the end had lost all life support (or at least it didn't have the magical artificial gravity of the rest of the station, nor was it a breathable environment), so that section was being used for storage, freeing up some storage space in the livable section for other uses.

They were inventing, learning, and using a conlang out there. Some people were moving things to and from the supply section, and were quizzing each other on vocabulary as they worked. I was in a control center, looking at the words on a screen that the officer in charge of watching the move of supplies was reading to the crew actually moving the supplies. I remember these words:
salina (v., to go to the supply section); salan (a noun meaning, "a trip out to the supply section")
kalima (to return from the supply section); kalam (the noun, as above)
saleama (v., tr., to get along poorly with (another person) -- intentionally)
shaleawa (v. tr. to unintentionally get along poorly with (another person))

So it appeared to be a tri-consonantal root system, with sound shifts indicating whether something was intentional (the default) or unintentional. I was also under the impression that nouns ended in consonants and verbs ended in vowels.

It was an odd dream, but there were some interesting ideas in there.

(EDIT: The words I remember are all pretty similar, but applying waking logic to the dream, but maybe it was like the spelling lists I had in elementary school-- a list of words that are intentionally similar to one another in one way or another. )
Miatato
Site Admin

Re: Conlanging Dream

Postby kadani » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:29 am

Interesting! Do you mind if I nick 2 of these words for rejistanian?
Kaju'il vaixunus'tan viskoreja! Ines'il viskoreja!
Fight linguistic extinction! Invent a language!
Rejistanian word of the day
kadani

Postby Miatato » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:06 am

I don't mind at all. :)
Miatato
Site Admin

Postby kadani » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:24 pm

I also dreamt of conlanging today. I was doing a math exam and the last (in day logic: extra credit) assignments were about conlanging. I remember one of these asking for all the words for fire and how we distinguish various types of it. And that I answered how Kenshuite He Mo Gie (a rather stalled conlang of mine) does it.
Kaju'il vaixunus'tan viskoreja! Ines'il viskoreja!
Fight linguistic extinction! Invent a language!
Rejistanian word of the day
kadani

Return to Any Other Conlang