Words. Ideas. News.

This is where the work of building the language gets done.

Words. Ideas. News.

Postby Miatato » Thu May 20, 2010 10:43 pm

I think the lexicon is now up to day with numbers and newly created words, with the exception of txei and silu from the "chat" forum, which I'd like to talk about a little.

I proposed txei for "more (quality/quantity)" and/or "a lot (a large quantity)", and silu as "less (quality/quantity)" and/or "a little (a small quantity)". Is that ok or would anyone like to split quality/quantity? It was in reference to being sleeping (a lot) and still being (a little) sick.

I had suggested that perhaps "bolatxa" (edge) and "bolana" (rope, cord) might be related through some other root, "bol" or "bola". We had "bol" suggested as "thousand". I thought that "bola" or "bol" could mean "to limit, restrain" and maybe "to tie or bind" (since the edge is the "limit" of an object, and a rope or cord can be used to restrain). Perhaps at one point, a thousand was the "limit" of reasonable counting (not that numbers beyond were unknown, but that they were large numbers). Kinda folk-etymology-ish, for sure. But that's fun too.

I think it might be useful to do some of what we've been doing in terms of developing new vocabulary through individual contribution, but I think it might be useful if we could create words in webs related by topic so that we get more stuff that can be used together conversationally or to tell stories.

I would really like to see things getting hashed out a little bit in use, if that's cool with everyone else. I feel like I am in a weird position, since I sort of started this project, but I don't want anyone to feel like I "own" it, so I have been trying to feel out how much guidance to throw out there.

I have a busy couple of weeks ahead with end of the school year stuff-- travel, graduations, field trips, last minute school stuff. I will be here, but not as much as I might like. I'll try to keep up with everything as much as I can. Have some fun with the language while I am semi-absent. ;)
Miatato
Site Admin

Re: Words. Ideas. News.

Postby Miatato » Wed May 26, 2010 7:55 pm

Any suggestions for something that means "all"? How about "some of"?

(EDIT: How about a word for "fear of exerting too much influence over a conlanging project"? :D )
Miatato
Site Admin

Postby Zwangzug » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:32 pm

How about "mabwe" for "all" and "fil" for "some of"?

(Edit: and "dema" for "fear". I'll let someone else come up with the rest. :P )
Zwangzug

Postby Miatato » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:40 am

I don't think we have 'w', but mabue works. :)
Is 'dema' a noun or a verb, or both?
Adding to the LEX file...
Miatato
Site Admin

Postby Zwangzug » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:57 pm

Oh, thanks. Sorry about that.

dema is a noun, but that doesn't mean it can't be a verb too.
Zwangzug

Return to The Language Factory