Questions About Questions

This is where the work of building the language gets done.

Questions About Questions

Postby Miatato » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:42 pm

1) I like the idea of yes/no question tagging. We could use "yes" and/or "no" for tags, or we could have a different question tag altogether. I guess we have "vi" (or something related, if that's verb negation only) as a potential word for "no", but do we have a word for yes?

2) What about other kinds of questions? Would anyone like to tackle question words? Who, what, when, where, how, why, which... and maybe how much/many, which type of, etc.
Miatato
Site Admin

Re: Questions About Questions

Postby Matthew Turnbull » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:58 am

1)I like yes no tagging, but I think we should have an unmarked tag, perhaps unmarked questions could lack a tag and have rising intonation, I think slave does something like that.
2)Content questions I think should not display WH movement, but should maybe be tagged with the yes tag and have a couple different forms of wh word, perhaps one for verbs, one for nouns, one for anything that's in a prepositional phrase.
As for questions on quantity, no ideas spring to mind immediately.
ave matyu at vijeréiisoblarre ayna
saluton mi nomas mateo kaj lingvokreas mi
je me nomme Matthew Turnbull et je fais la glossopoésie
Matthew Turnbull

Postby Dedalvs » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:09 pm

Matthew Turnbull wrote:2)Content questions I think should not display WH movement, but should maybe be tagged with the yes tag and have a couple different forms of wh word, perhaps one for verbs, one for nouns, one for anything that's in a prepositional phrase.
As for questions on quantity, no ideas spring to mind immediately.

I like this--putting WH-words in situ, and having a general question marker. It's not something that happens in natural languages very frequently (and certainly not in the various IE languages we speak), so we wouldn't be bringing any preconceived notions about how they "should" work to the table.
Dedalvs

Postby kadani » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:12 pm

You mean roughly like in Jasabagé'a?

Gagígadabadélí gégégíbítélé tízégésé'ataŧé: Bears shit in he forrest (shit* PL-bear-ABS forrest-LOC)

Zini gagígadabadélí gégégíbítélé ziŧe: Where do bears shit? (QUESTIONPARTICLE shit* PL-bear-ABS where)

* here marks that its grammatical forms are irrelevant

Just asking whether I understood it correctly.
Kaju'il vaixunus'tan viskoreja! Ines'il viskoreja!
Fight linguistic extinction! Invent a language!
Rejistanian word of the day
kadani

Postby Dedalvs » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:43 am

kadani wrote:You mean roughly like in Jasabagé'a?

Gagígadabadélí gégégíbítélé tízégésé'ataŧé: Bears shit in he forrest (shit* PL-bear-ABS forrest-LOC)

Zini gagígadabadélí gégégíbítélé ziŧe: Where do bears shit? (QUESTIONPARTICLE shit* PL-bear-ABS where)

Just asking whether I understood it correctly.

Yes, provided the form "ziŧe" can actually be broken down further than you led on... That is, is this right?

tízégésé'ata-ŧé
/forest-loc/

zi-ŧe
/WH-loc/

I also see /zi/ at the beginning, too. But yeah, the in situ forms make most sense when they act just like another proform and are treated by the syntax and morphology as such, the only difference being that their referent is being queried about.

So, yes, just like that. :)
Dedalvs

Postby Miatato » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:59 pm

I likes it. :mrgreen:
Miatato
Site Admin

Postby kadani » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:17 pm

That is indeed how it works for most of the forms. Not for why though because I was unsure how to implement that.
Kaju'il vaixunus'tan viskoreja! Ines'il viskoreja!
Fight linguistic extinction! Invent a language!
Rejistanian word of the day
kadani

Postby alexfink » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:58 pm

Dedalvs wrote:I like this--putting WH-words in situ, and having a general question marker. It's not something that happens in natural languages very frequently

Isn't it? WALS says that, of 803 languages, 542 don't front WH-phrases and, unhelpfully, that "most" of these are in situ. But I like it too, yes.

Matthew Turnbull wrote:As for questions on quantity, no ideas spring to mind immediately.

Well, we don't even know how numbers and such quantities work syntactically. A couple obvious options under which your proposals would cover them are that they're nominal ("I had a three of cats") or verbal ("my cats threed").
alexfink

Postby Miatato » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:37 pm

I was just over in this thread suggesting either "nge" or "ne" to mark questions.

That is all.
Miatato
Site Admin

Return to The Language Factory