Number System?

This is where the work of building the language gets done.

Re: Number System?

Postby alexfink » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:27 am

I was thinking the latter, so that you don't have to nest a subtraction inside something (parallel to my 56). But either is workable.
alexfink

Postby kadani » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:22 pm

I fear that it would make say 6 and 14 sound rather similar unless this is 'dealt with' phonetically for example.
Kaju'il vaixunus'tan viskoreja! Ines'il viskoreja!
Fight linguistic extinction! Invent a language!
Rejistanian word of the day
kadani

Postby Miatato » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:34 pm

Perhaps something like one, two, three, four, half-ten, half-ten-and-one, ten-less-three, ten-less-two, ten-less-one, ten, ten-and-one, ten-and-two, ten-and-three, ten-and-four, ten-and-a-half-ten, ten-less-four, ten-less-three, ten-less-two, ten-less-one, two-tens....

Why is six a "half ten and one" while 16 (and probably 26, 36 etc.) "(x)ten/s-less-four"? Why not? These crazy people and their crazy forward and backward counting language!

Just an idea. Feel free to bat me over the head with a salami and tell me, "No!" in a firm voice. :mrgreen:
Miatato
Site Admin

Postby Dedalvs » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:55 am

Miatato wrote:Perhaps something like one, two, three, four, half-ten, half-ten-and-one, ten-less-three, ten-less-two, ten-less-one, ten, ten-and-one, ten-and-two, ten-and-three, ten-and-four, ten-and-a-half-ten, ten-less-four, ten-less-three, ten-less-two, ten-less-one, two-tens....

Just an idea. Feel free to bat me over the head with a salami and tell me, "No!" in a firm voice. :mrgreen:

/bats Mia over the head with a salami

Actually, I really, really like this idea. I will learn the eventual terms as if they were morphologically simplex, but I like the idea that they're actually complex. I like it a lot.
Dedalvs

Postby alavda-isere » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:40 am

I concur! I like this system a lot, though as bad as I am at math, some numbers might be harder, especially when you get into 3 or 4 (or more...) digits.
alavda-isere

Postby alexfink » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:28 pm

Hey, looks like we've got a winner. Shall we make up some roots?

I'm gonna go first and propose that "less" / "without" is -(u)l (the u where phonotactically necessary) (and throwing in the sense "without" so we can use this as a general derivational element: tsenglail 'poor', txifomul 'bald', pakilal 'blind', ...). I went for a stress-attracting suffix imagining that that would help make pairs like 7 = 10-3-(u)l and 13 = 10-tei(?)-3 more distinct, hopefully assuaging Mechthild's concerns a bit.
alexfink

Postby Dedalvs » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:13 pm

OMG!!! Not related to the topic, but I just--for the very first time--got an e-mail notification that someone had replied to a post! WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!
Dedalvs

Postby Miatato » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:08 pm

I feel like I am really bad at coming up with numbers, so here's my tiny proposal for the afternoon:
jel-, half-(of a quantity... with other possible applications, undoubtedly)
eng, one.
Miatato
Site Admin

Postby Matthew Turnbull » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:26 pm

Perhaps something like one, two, three, four, half-ten, half-ten-and-one, ten-less-three, ten-less-two, ten-less-one, ten, ten-and-one, ten-and-two, ten-and-three, ten-and-four, ten-and-a-half-ten, ten-less-four, ten-less-three, ten-less-two, ten-less-one, two-tens....

So we only need 1, 2, 3, 4, 1/2, less, and and.
so only seven morphemes, maybe we could have 10, 20, 30, 40 and maybe even roots for 100 ...

My 2c.
1,jo
2,im
3,ko
4,pa

What does everyone think?
ave matyu at vijeréiisoblarre ayna
saluton mi nomas mateo kaj lingvokreas mi
je me nomme Matthew Turnbull et je fais la glossopoésie
Matthew Turnbull

Postby Miatato » Mon May 03, 2010 8:49 pm

That works for me. Anyone else have suggestions for what we still lack?
I did make a suggestion for "half" (jel)... less/minus?

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for getting ordinal numbers out of cardinal numbers?
Miatato
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Language Factory