[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Kenakoliku • View topic - Derivation

Derivation

This is where the work of building the language gets done.

Re: Derivation

Postby Dedalvs » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:51 am

Way too tired right now, but I just wanted to say, "I like" to Alex's post. Looking forward to really getting into it tomorrow.
-Dave

Dedalvs

Postby PeteBleackley » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:04 am

PeteBleackley

Postby kadani » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:46 pm

That sounds positively complex! :D
Kaju'il vaixunus'tan viskoreja! Ines'il viskoreja!
Fight linguistic extinction! Invent a language!
kadani

Postby Matthew Turnbull » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:07 am

ave matyu at vijeréiisoblarre ayna
saluton mi nomas mateo kaj lingvokreas mi
je me nomme Matthew Turnbull et je fais la glossopoésie
Matthew Turnbull

Postby alexfink » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:34 pm

alexfink

Postby Matthew Turnbull » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:37 am

I always liked that diminutive strategy, so I'm game for that. As for an augmentative, we could de-nasalize nasals or maybe nasalize stops, or something like that.
ave matyu at vijeréiisoblarre ayna
saluton mi nomas mateo kaj lingvokreas mi
je me nomme Matthew Turnbull et je fais la glossopoésie
Matthew Turnbull

Postby alexfink » Tue May 04, 2010 11:05 pm

I have made a tab in , called "Morphology", with the information from the first post and several updates of mine. That's something everyone can edit. (David, you could replace the first post by a link to it.)

You'll see I've omitted the "derivational operation" go-. I don't think there's any operation there at all; as it's jo- I think is the result of an operation! To tidy up the loose end I propose the noun goai, 'hat (broadly), headwear', found as an element in goaileta and in reduced form in gosana.

(I should make it clear that I don't mind having a non-productive derivational element with the function "symbol of". But I do think we can tell a better story if this is not it.)
alexfink

Postby Miatato » Mon May 10, 2010 5:00 pm

Thanks for adding that tab. :)

I was hoping to get a couple of verbs from makea ("peace"), so I thought I'd throw some ideas out of my frying pan into the community fire:

makea >
mankea or manakea, to forgive; to make peace with, transitive (-n- or -na- following the first vowel?)
amakea (by way of amakeaa); to be peaceful, calm, at peace, intransitive (a- -a)

So, to pick another word, from baloj we could get abaloja, to make a loud noise.

I am not sure how to get "to make peace between (other parties)"...
Miatato
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Language Factory