Personal Names

This is where the work of building the language gets done.

Re: Personal Names

Postby Matthew Turnbull » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:05 pm

Miatato wrote:Perhaps a name wouldn't pass on if someone had either committed some heinous crime (murder, for instance), or if they'd chosen to abandon their secret (or at least less-public) cultural identity in favor of their public identity (e.g., deciding to be "John Smith" full-time and repudiating the minority culture identity). It might mean that the person may be seen as culturally "dead", since they are no longer participating in community life and aren't likely to pass the culture on to future generations. (This doesn't necessarily mean being shunned by the community, but it might be something that the aforementioned John Smith's family might find disappointing, shameful, and embarrassing, and maybe that's enough to keep the name from passing on.)

This seems like a really good idea, but would their name be passed down if they reneged in the end of their life? Say a 75 year old decides to suddenly throw themselves back into the community after ignoring it for 50 years.
ave matyu at vijeréiisoblarre ayna
saluton mi nomas mateo kaj lingvokreas mi
je me nomme Matthew Turnbull et je fais la glossopoésie
Matthew Turnbull

Postby kadani » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:20 pm

Dedalvs wrote:
Miatato wrote:Perhaps a name wouldn't pass on if someone had either committed some heinous crime (murder, for instance), or if they'd chosen to abandon their secret (or at least less-public) cultural identity in favor of their public identity (e.g., deciding to be "John Smith" full-time and repudiating the minority culture identity). It might mean that the person may be seen as culturally "dead", since they are no longer participating in community life and aren't likely to pass the culture on to future generations. (This doesn't necessarily mean being shunned by the community, but it might be something that the aforementioned John Smith's family might find disappointing, shameful, and embarrassing, and maybe that's enough to keep the name from passing on.)

I like it. I like it a lot. :)

me too
Kaju'il vaixunus'tan viskoreja! Ines'il viskoreja!
Fight linguistic extinction! Invent a language!
Rejistanian word of the day
kadani

Postby Miatato » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:08 pm

I was thinking tonight about what sort of (first) names a person might be given, and I wonder if there might not be a certain number relating to the secret nature of the culture: Whisper, Kept-Secret, Concealer, Lurk, Two-Lives, etc.

And then other names on more common themes: Brave, Pretty-Flower, Made-Of-Candy... :lol:
Miatato
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Language Factory