For Fun: If you wanted to game Kenakoliku-style

Whole piles of words. Heaps, even.

For Fun: If you wanted to game Kenakoliku-style

Postby Miatato » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:54 pm

I have given some thought over time to uses for conlangs, and using them in an online game always struck me as a possibility for gaining fluency in a relatively well-developed conlang. This isn't an entirely originally thought, of course, probably having crossed the mind of virtually every MMORPG-playing conlanger. And, in fact, there's at least one WoW guild that uses Esperanto, though I don't know how active they are at this point. They do have an interesting page with game vocabulary here: http://kafejo.com/OVS/.

Since this project is either mostly dead or experiencing a deep lull or it has been polymorphed into a sheep, I figure there's no harm in throwing out a call for game-related vocabulary bits and maybe even bits of grammar. It would be AWESOME if some of these were derived from existing vocabulary (here)... Multiple game platform terms/jargon welcome! You can either suggest translations of English words, new uses for existing words, or adaptations of game-specific words.

For instance:
materials/mats/resources -- suma
harvesting node (place where materials are gathered)-- kasumala (... or tidzesuma ???)
area outside of melee range where ranged damage dealers and healers stand -- voleta (where the priest stands... :lol: )
murloc -- muloku

A tiny starter list people might want to take a shot at:

Elf
Dwarf
Gnome
Dragon
Cat-person (EQ1: Vah Shir; EQ2: Kerran; Istaria: Saris)
Cow-person (WoW: Tauren... Used for minotaurs in other circumstances??)
Lizard-person (EQ1/2: Iksars; Istaria: Ssliks)
Centaur
Undead (adj/n)
Zombie
Skeleton
Fight (v)
Fight (n, a particular instance of fighting)
Character
Play
Player
Gank (v)
Grief (v)
Experience
Gear

OMG, people, don't be shy to tell me my words and grammar suck hardcore, in any post I've ever made! I feel like we've all been really nice and pleasant and non-confrontational, which is cool, but not necessarily good for the language.
Miatato
Site Admin

Re: For Fun: If you wanted to game Kenakoliku-style

Postby Dedalvs » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:27 pm

Hey Mia,

So sorry I disappeared. Life's been a...bleh. And now I've got a project which I've been putting off which I have to really get to work on. Man... It'd be so much easier to keep up if I got e-mail notifications.

I have some ideas:

manik - "moonwell"
zazavusa - "insect swarm"
timonku - "druid"
katubungla - "disease"

I always find myself thinking of druids when I play with my cat... Anyway, you can't have lizard-person without lizard, so here's lizard:

dziven - "lizard"

I shall note here (without further comment) that I haven't seen you on WoW at all. My level 22 mage needs someone to quest with... :(

In order for this to work, the language needs more morphology. I have to admit, I was kind of turned off by the direction of the language initially (very morphemic), but I didn't have enough time to contribute substantially, so I couldn't really say anything about it. Time has been at a premium for me, I'm afraid.
Dedalvs

Postby Miatato » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:04 pm

I like your suggestions. And at least one I can use immediately in real life. Our shed is some kind of bumblebee fortress, and the zazavusam are a little frightening at times. There's something elegant in the lai>laiku, timon>timonku analogy.

How do we not have a word for 'person'? (Off to comb threads... Ok, back.) I was about to suggest xoa, but I suggested olu in another thread. (Inconveniently, not in the lexicon file.) I think I will stick with olu because it fits better to create man (pengnolu or maybe pengnol) and woman (ninolu or ninol) from otherwise existing bits.

I suppose whether a lizardman is a dzivenolu or oludziven depends on whether you think of them as a LIZARD-man or a lizard-MAN, and I am not even sure which would be which because I haven't really looked at our existing compound words in a while. Anyone have a preference?

Cat-person would be either lomiolu or olulomi. I like it. :D

Now we just need a use for xoa.

My ongoing computer saga gets worse-- I thought I'd have a new computer up and running by now, but it appears that my husband broke the processor when he was trying to move it from one motherboard to another. :cry: I am going to have to just reinstall WoW on my old computer. On the bright side, it seems to be more stable (less prone to rebooting itself and freezing) since I reinstalled Windows.
Miatato
Site Admin

Postby Dedalvs » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:34 pm

Miatato wrote:I suppose whether a lizardman is a dzivenolu or oludziven depends on whether you think of them as a LIZARD-man or a lizard-MAN, and I am not even sure which would be which because I haven't really looked at our existing compound words in a while. Anyone have a preference?

I can't really say why, but it seems like it would more likely become a suffix than a prefix.

Miatato wrote:Now we just need a use for xoa.

How about something to do with "throwing"? This can lead to "throw", "toss", "shoot"--and then "shot", giving us something to create "fire ball", "shadow bolt", "frost bolt", etc. from.

Miatato wrote:My ongoing computer saga gets worse-- I thought I'd have a new computer up and running by now, but it appears that my husband broke the processor when he was trying to move it from one motherboard to another. :cry: I am going to have to just reinstall WoW on my old computer. On the bright side, it seems to be more stable (less prone to rebooting itself and freezing) since I reinstalled Windows.

:( I have a spare computer here that just needs the thing that backlights the screen to be replaced...
Dedalvs

Postby Miatato » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:30 pm

Dedalvs wrote:
Miatato wrote:I suppose whether a lizardman is a dzivenolu or oludziven depends on whether you think of them as a LIZARD-man or a lizard-MAN, and I am not even sure which would be which because I haven't really looked at our existing compound words in a while. Anyone have a preference?

I can't really say why, but it seems like it would more likely become a suffix than a prefix.

That suits me just fine. I think it is going to turn out to be extremely useful for creating a lot of different words. Maybe.

I was thinking that either character or player could be a "play-person", once we have a word for "play". Perhaps a player is a "play-person" and a character is an "pretend-person" or "played-person" "Play" and "pretend" may spring from the same root. I'll have to think about that.

Dedalvs wrote:How about something to do with "throwing"? This can lead to "throw", "toss", "shoot"--and then "shot", giving us something to create "fire ball", "shadow bolt", "frost bolt", etc. from.

We are apparently on the same wavelength, since I had a similar thought for xoa (beginning in my mind with "casting spells" and working backward to "throwing"). Excellent!

Dedalvs wrote::( I have a spare computer here that just needs the thing that backlights the screen to be replaced...

I have my old computer up and running again. It seems to have stopped randomly rebooting. Now to reinstall WoW.
(...And there was much rejoicing throughout the land.)
Miatato
Site Admin

Postby Dedalvs » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:32 am

Miatato wrote:We are apparently on the same wavelength, since I had a similar thought for xoa (beginning in my mind with "casting spells" and working backward to "throwing"). Excellent!

I love it! Here are some words we'll need:

fex - "ice"
vij - "fire"

Miatato wrote:I have my old computer up and running again. It seems to have stopped randomly rebooting. Now to reinstall WoW.
(...And there was much rejoicing throughout the land.)

Yay! /banners
Dedalvs

Return to A Word For Everything