Calligraphy

Writing systems, visual arts, and other cultural bits

Re: Calligraphy

Postby Miatato » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:54 pm

This is probably not my best version, but it was on my desk, so here it is. I did have a version with triangular stickwomen for vowels, but these little stick people might very well all be women. I haven't asked them. :D
Miatato
Site Admin

Postby Dedalvs » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:00 am

I'm about to take some of your images out of context (an eventuality for which I hope you prepared):

ImageImage
Dedalvs

Postby Miatato » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:41 am

LOL... Just :lol:!
Miatato
Site Admin

Postby alexfink » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:08 pm

I like it.

Leads me to wonder if we could do something denser -- e.g. syllabary style, where the legs or the global posture are the V and the upper body is the C? (And maybe diacritic environmental bits like your Vs for final Cs?)

Anyway, this would be a beautifully confusing system to mix in with a logography, where various stems are also written as pictures of people doing stuff :P
alexfink

Postby Dedalvs » Mon May 03, 2010 5:38 pm

So...I'm sick today. Just really not feeling well. This always seems to happen to me when I see summer is nearly here--like my body decides to get the sick out of the way so I can really enjoy myself for the rest of the summer.

Anyway, so I don't feel like doing anything (feel like my head isn't on straight). I decided to work up a font for Halfsies. I'd like to reiterate, though, that I think it'd be really cool for Kenakoliku to have different scripts (so that this could be one of many). Unfortunately, I've gotten to the part of the script that always makes me tear my hair out: the ligatures. It's coding, plain and simple, and I've never been one to be good at such things.

Right now, I've tried to follow as closely as possible the romanization developed, so that, for example, "j" = [ʒ] and "x" = [ʃ], etc., but I'm running into problems with the affricates. I've fixed it so that when you type "t" and then "s" you get the "ts" glyph (a separate glyph from both "s" and "t"), but for some reason which I cannot comprehend, I can't get it to work right with the vowels. Sequences like this work fine:

"s" + "a" = "sa" glyph (the glyph "s" with the "a" vowel diacritic above)
"t" + "a" = "ta" glyph (the glyph "t" with the "a" vowel diacritic above)

But it's not working with the combined glyphs, for some reason, so:

"ts" glyph + "a" = "ts" glyph "a" (i.e. the "ts" glyph followed by an "a" standalone glyph)

It's driving me nuts! The code is as follows:

Code: Select all
feature liga { #Standard Ligatures
   @LETTER = [a-z oslash];
   @VOWEL = [a e i o u];
   #Affricates
  substitute t s by ts.aff;
  substitute d z by dz.aff;
  substitute t x by tx.aff;
  substitute d j by dj.aff;
  substitute n g by ng.aff;
   #A Series
  substitute b a by b.a;
  substitute d a by d.a;
  substitute dj.aff a by dj.a;
  substitute dz.aff a by dz.a;
  substitute f a by f.a;
  substitute g a by g.a;
  substitute j a by j.a;
  substitute k a by k.a;
  substitute l a by l.a;
  substitute m a by m.a;
  substitute n a by n.a;
  substitute ng.aff a by ng.a;
  substitute p a by p.a;
  substitute s a by s.a;
  substitute t a by t.a;
  substitute ts.aff a by ts.a;
  substitute tx.aff a by tx.a;
  substitute v a by v.a;
  substitute x a by x.a;
  substitute z a by z.a;
} liga;

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know what I was up to. I'll get it...
Dedalvs

Postby Dedalvs » Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 pm

Dedalvs wrote:But it's not working with the combined glyphs, for some reason...

Ho, ho! I got it! Apparently it wanted apostrophes after each element in the substitute phrase for just the affricate glyphs. I think it has something to do with their having multiletter names... Anyway, hooray! Now I can embark on the most arduous part: Getting the glyphs to connect together based on their position in a word. *shudder*
Dedalvs

Postby Matthew Turnbull » Mon May 03, 2010 9:06 pm

Good luck, that's the reason that I can't make a font for my main conlang, I just can't figure it out.
ave matyu at vijeréiisoblarre ayna
saluton mi nomas mateo kaj lingvokreas mi
je me nomme Matthew Turnbull et je fais la glossopoésie
Matthew Turnbull

Postby Dedalvs » Tue May 04, 2010 6:21 am

Matthew Turnbull wrote:Good luck, that's the reason that I can't make a font for my main conlang, I just can't figure it out.

Got it.

Okay, so apparently this isn't a feature of a font, so much as it's a feature of word processors. So instead of having to figure out the code to identify characters that are at the beginning, end or middle of a word, you can simply tag classes of characters as initial (init), medial (medi), final (fina) or standalone (isol). The way you do it, then, is as follows:

1. Create all the characters (pain in the butt, but there's no way around it: each character in the entire syllabary has to be created by hand [though with combinable elements, it's just a little copy-and-paste job]).
  2. Name the characters appropriately. (Very important. This is where I was screwing up. I had characters like b.a for "ba", and tx.aff for "tx". In order for this to work, the character name must be identical in each class, with only the class differing. Thus, you'd have b.init, b.medi, etc., and instead of b.a through z.a for "Ca" syllables, you have b_a.init, b_a.fina, etc.)
  3. Once that's done, create your classes. Add all the initial characters to the init class, the final to fina, etc. In order for substitutions to work properly, there must be the exact same number of characters in each class, and there must be a one-to-one correspondence between character names.
  4. Add the predefined features init, fina, medi and isol (as needed), which should just say "substitute @isol by @init" (for the initial feature).

Once that's done, word processors and other programs that are programmed to recognize the init, fina, etc. features will do the substitution automatically, so that the font creator doesn't have to go through and type "substitute b_a.isol' @ALLET' by b_a.init", and define @ALLET as every possible character, etc.

So, now that I know that, the rest should be cake! But I need sleep.

(Oh, and on a totally unrelated note, I love the word "vevu" for mouse!)
Dedalvs

Postby Dedalvs » Wed May 12, 2010 6:31 am

So...

I've got the font working correctly in the test screen within my font-making program, but it doesn't work in any known word processor in the world.

This is driving me crazy. With fonts I create, the only recognized feature is "liga". That's it. It won't recognize any other feature, and I can't implement initial, medial and final forms without the additional features. It recognizes them fine for Arabic, but it won't for an invented script. It does this because word processors have built in algorithms to figure out if text is in a set number of typefaces. Fonts, then, have a way to tell the word processor, "Yes! The text is in X typeface." The word processor, then, knows to recognize a particular feature (say, init, fina, medi and isol--the very features that work in Arabic and I need for this font), and the font supplies the word processor with the code from that specific feature.

Since there is no such language Kenakoliku that is recognized by any word processor, it could care less that it has the init, fina and medi features. It seems them but just doesn't care. You can't even force the word processor to recognize those features. It turns on the standard feature by default (liga), because it does that for every font, but unless it's a recognized script, it won't do anything with any other features.

So that's where I've been for the past two hours. Unless I can find a way to force the word processor to accept what it sees as a non-standard ligature, I'm going to have to find a way to code everything by hand, so that I can put all the functionality in liga: the one feature it recognizes. Doing so will involve hours of mindless, repetitive work.

And that's why I'm going to sleep.
Dedalvs

Postby Dedalvs » Wed May 12, 2010 2:42 pm

Dedalvs wrote:And that's why I'm going to sleep.

Ho, ho! And it's a good thing I did! A solution came to me in a dream. Now to see if it works...
Dedalvs

PreviousNext

Return to Arts And Crafts