Calligraphy

Writing systems, visual arts, and other cultural bits

Re: Calligraphy

Postby Miatato » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:14 pm

Well, I was toying with an alphabetic writing system I thought I'd scan and upload... It has absolutely no merit whatsoever, but I thought it would be amusing, as every character is composed of a stick man in a particular position for that sound. It has a voicing mark, so p and b would look alike, except for a tiny speech bubble that appears over the head of the 'b' stick man. :lol:

Yeah. I need more sleep.
Miatato
Site Admin

Postby Matthew Turnbull » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:28 pm

yeah, it'll still be better than copy pasting from GIMP! :p
ave matyu at vijeréiisoblarre ayna
saluton mi nomas mateo kaj lingvokreas mi
je me nomme Matthew Turnbull et je fais la glossopoésie
Matthew Turnbull

Postby alavda-isere » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:52 pm

Miatato wrote:Well, I was toying with an alphabetic writing system I thought I'd scan and upload... It has absolutely no merit whatsoever, but I thought it would be amusing, as every character is composed of a stick man in a particular position for that sound. It has a voicing mark, so p and b would look alike, except for a tiny speech bubble that appears over the head of the 'b' stick man. :lol:

Yeah. I need more sleep.

LMAO,that sounds cute and hilarious. You should share just for the hell of it :)
alavda-isere

Postby Matthew Turnbull » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:12 am

Miatato wrote:Well, I was toying with an alphabetic writing system I thought I'd scan and upload... It has absolutely no merit whatsoever, but I thought it would be amusing, as every character is composed of a stick man in a particular position for that sound. It has a voicing mark, so p and b would look alike, except for a tiny speech bubble that appears over the head of the 'b' stick man. :lol:

Yeah. I need more sleep.

I made a syllabary like that once, the people were wearing different hats for POA and MOA and the were black or white for voicing and they had their arms and legs in position for the vowels...I ended up being far to complex for my taste :(
Matthew Turnbull

Postby kadani » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:15 pm

alavda-isere wrote:

Yeah. I need more sleep.

LMAO,that sounds cute and hilarious. You should share just for the hell of it :)

:lol: :lol: Seconded! Sharing is caring!
Kaju'il vaixunus'tan viskoreja! Ines'il viskoreja!
Fight linguistic extinction! Invent a language!
Rejistanian word of the day
kadani

Postby alexfink » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:33 pm

kadani wrote:
alavda-isere wrote:

Yeah. I need more sleep.

:lol: :lol: Seconded! Sharing is caring!

Thirded, and Matthew, yours too. This reminds me of the language John Q has proposed where changes of outfit are phonemic :) Oh, and have y'all seen Rosenfelder's Elkarîl?
alexfink

Postby alexfink » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:42 pm

Matthew Turnbull wrote:OK, this is a bit of a radical suggestion, but I think what we should do with the orthography is the following.

**the voicing of the consonant is indicated by the "vowel"**
[...]

The thing is, with the relationship among the voiced and voiceless vowels being that regular, this is susceptible to a much more ordinary analysis. To wit, /t/ is written as that tau shape, /d/ as dotted tau, and similarly for the other consonant pairs, and each vowel then has one diacritic, which in the case of /o/ and /u/ tucks inside the dot of a consonant that has one.

Also, you happened to avoid triggering a pet peeve of mine by not pairing /m n/ :) but still there's no particular reason every consonant needs to have a mate, and /m n ŋ l/ could just as well be unpaired.

Neat, anyway.
alexfink

Postby Matthew Turnbull » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:03 pm

I wanted all of the ten vowel graphemes to be unique, I realize that perhaps this wasn't too clear because I chose the versions with dots because I was working with GIMP and not a font so it was comparatively laborious to produce the forms.

I paired m and ng because they sound so similar and I figured that it would be sorta naturalistic, but n and l I paired on the loose basis that they're both alveolar (or dental, no one really hashed that out yet). Anyhow paring n and l cuts down on one form for the writing system, thereby representing 23 phonemes with only 19 letters, instead of 20. No particular reason except to make the system easier for the font and easier to learn by one letter.

I have no reason to disagree with not pairing n with l, but I personally would argue for the m ng pairing, because of how similar they sound to me. Unpairing them would result in 21 letters, for 23 phonemes, so still more than 100% compact so I could deal.
Matthew Turnbull

Postby kadani » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:19 pm

I am indifferent in the question whether they should be paired, but if not, give them 2 distinctive shapes. :D
Kaju'il vaixunus'tan viskoreja! Ines'il viskoreja!
Fight linguistic extinction! Invent a language!
Rejistanian word of the day
kadani

Postby Miatato » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:35 pm

I am reworking my stick men a little bit, but I should post those in the next couple of days. I really like what's been posted so far. It's all so nice and so professional looking... and I actually suck at this kind of design, so I am pretty grateful.
Miatato
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Arts And Crafts